Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!





I'm back...actually I have been back for a few days, but it's been incredibly busy around here and I haven't had a chance to sit down and write. But before I go any further I want to thank all of you for all of your kindness and well wishes for my trip to New York. My visit with grandma was truly very special. She has physically changed a lot since I saw her last and each day is a struggle for her but inside she still has that  sparkle that makes her so special. We had so much fun looking through pictures of the kids and especially seeing so many of my sewing creations. My visit to NY was crazy as I anticipated and I wished I had more time there to do more for grandma and see old friends and family. I did manage to squeeze in a lunch with an old friend which was wonderful. It's amazing when you haven't seen someone in years and then you are able to pick up as if you had just had lunch the week before. I also got to visit with some of my family and that was really nice. Mom and I cooked up a storm and made a whole bunch of food for grandma so that all  someone needs to do is heat it up for her. Grandma had me go through some of her sewing stuff and take whatever I wanted but I have to admit it felt a little strange so I only brought a few things home with me. A vintage sewing box, a bag filled with ribbons and trims and some of grandma's old sewing/crafting books. These books are so much fun and as I looked through the pages I couldn't help but smile at all the great images. Talk about inspiration!!!! I can't wait until I can spend more time paging through them. At the end of my time in NY mom and I packed up the car, said our goodbyes and hopped in the car and headed back to Virginia. Over these past few days we have done lots of shopping and even managed to give the boys a bedroom makeover and their space is really looking like quite the "cool tween pad"... but more on that later! Then dad arrived from Florida and we have all been having a great, but very busy time!!! Which is typical for my family....it's never relaxing. The kids are having a ball with my folks and they are spoiling them rotten. But that's fine...they only see them once or twice a year so it's fine if they want to indulge them a little...isn't that what grandma's and grandpa's are for???? In a few more hours my kitchen will be bustling with Thanksgiving preparations and fabulous smells will fill the house. This is one of my favorite meals so I am really looking forward to this evening!

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and happy shopping to those of you who brave the crowds tomorrow. I am staying home!

Dawn

1 comment:

Laurie said...

It was wonderful you, grandma and mom had time together. This is a memory you will cherish for a lifetime. I have an old wooden handle tracing wheel from my grandma, some cards of bias and some buttons.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin