Monday, September 7, 2009

I WANT MY SERGER BACK!!!!!!


Okay, it's been two weeks...Yes, 2 WEEKS since I have been able to sew anything and I am going NUTS!!! Even Ole commented and said "You need Sergio back!" I knew I was going to miss him, but I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be. I keep having all these ideas and I want to create them and then I go to my sewing studio and see that empty spot and my heart just sinks. I can tell you...as soon as I get the call I am going to get him!!!! Cross you fingers that "that call" comes in soon!

Yes, I know...I could sew. But I am such a perfectionist when it comes to my creations that the thought of my seams not being perfect drives me crazy. Which brings me to a funny story that I should share with you.

The other day when I took Abby for her meet & greet at school there were a lot of mamas "oooohing and aaaahing" over her dress. One teacher, who I have never even met made the comment "Oh, you are the mom that makes all the gorgeous clothes!"( evidently the word is out ) I just smiled and said "thank you". Then one mom actually came up and started inspecting Abby's dress looking at my seams and peeking underneath to see how my finishing was...I guess, and her comment was "This looks too good to be Homemade!" and then the killer was "Oh, I so wish I was crafty!" What the heck is that? First off, I really wish people would stop thinking that anything handmade has to look frumpy and secondly I have to say...In no way do I think of my designing as "a craft project". Of course, I know she didn't mean any harm by it and I was basically amused by her statement. I just amazes me what people say sometimes.

Dawn

4 comments:

Kathya said...

i feel your pain. Although people dont check on my seams or anything like (because i keep my sewing as a secret. i get overwhelmed when people try to check on my sewing and i dont think i am as good as you are.) they in fact check on my HUGE my belly and i still have "7 LOOOOONG weeks to go".
yesterday i was almost in tears, a kid stopped right in front of me, and said "Mommy, mommy, LOOK AT HER BELLY!!!!" and laughed about me. Children can be cruel at times. and then a old big (to not say FAT) man pointed at me and made a pretty loud comment about how big i am. both comment no even 5 minutes apart from each other.
Anyways, your sewing is great!!! so dont let inexperience people offend you with their comments.
:D

Goosegirl said...

Dawn, my Janome has been in the shop for TWO MONTHS!!! I am a wreck here! I have been sewing on my mother's very lightweight Janome which has only a few stitches and no embroidery function. So I just have not been able to do as much sewing and it is making me crazy!!!!

And Kathya, you are beautiful and your baby is beautiful. It is just that you are a tiny person so the baby has no where else to go. You look great!

Anonymous said...

What about french seams? I discovered them a month ago and my poor overlocker (serger) has not seen the light of day since...

mightynancy said...

Chiming in late (just found your blog!). Naturally, I just smile when people say they wish they could sew. Really, though, it must not be their real wish, or they'd make it happen. 9 years ago, I wished I could sew, so I tried and failed and learned and bled and tried again and here I am. No fairy! No genie!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin