Thursday, March 25, 2010

Where I Create...


Come on...admit it...it's fun to peek into other people houses and check them out. I know, I personally love seeing other peoples sewing rooms to get ideas on how to make mine even better. I thought it might be a fun idea to share pictures of my creative space.

I converted our formal dining room into my sewing studio. Goodness knows with 4 little kids we don't have much time for formal dining. So, I emptied out my China cabinet and it was a perfect place to store a ton of fabric. Plus all those drawers in the bottom were perfect places to keep everything from threads to interfacing and everything else that I could fit in there. The same with the buffet...they are both packed with anything and everything a seamstress needs. In a corner I have a big cozy chair to sit in and think...yes, Steve and Joe on Blue's Clues have a thinking chair and so do I! This is one of my favorite places in our home and I love to curl up here and read, stitch or chat with my girlfriends on the phone. I also have my desk in here where all the pattern writing goes on and where I check in on all my friends and occasionally go on-line shopping for fabric. I used our dining table for my sewing table and just simply threw a pretty quilt over the top to protect it and to make it look cozier. My machines are on one side and my cutting area on the other and it works out perfectly. I have bins, baskets and jars filled with buttons, trims, ribbons and laces placed around the room displayed nicely so that they continually inspire me and I also have inspiration boards to tack up photos, notes and anything else that I love. This room is now where I spend a lot of my time. I am right in the middle of all the action and my kids always know where to find me..especially when they hear the hum of my sewing machine. Thanks for stopping by!


btw...if you want to be extra "nosey" you can just double click on the pictures to enlarge them so you can really look around!

Dawn

8 comments:

Martha said...

Wow, I would be cleaning for days before I could take pictures like that! Beautiful and serene. Perhaps if my sewing room was in the dining room, I might clean it more often. Thank you for the tour.

Jeannie B. said...

Oh my gosh!! To have such a clean, neat , organized and pretty room to sew in!! This will be my dream. It can't be a goal because I could never attain it. It's not possible for a zebra (me) to change his (my) stripes!!

Beautiful! Jeannie

Jan M said...

What a delightful place to create! Thank you for sharing and inspiring us with it!

Ellie Inspired said...

Beautiful space, Dawn! I already sent you a message about it but wanted to comment here too. Someday......I hope I will have a room like this! Thanks for showing us where you create!
Laura

Ruth said...

Oh, I'm so impressed---your sewing room is absolutely wonderful! :)

Lindsay said...

That gives me inspiration to get my sewing studio done. It's a work in progress. I too decided to convert my formal dining room into my sewing space. With 3 kids 7 and under, one on the way, and an eat in kitchen I don't forsee using the dining room in the future.

Anonymous said...

What a dreamy room! If I'd walked in there, I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Beautiful!!!

Rebecca Ann said...

I love love love your room! My sister and I just redid our own sewing room. Pictures to come on my blog soon! Yours was very inspring for us!

In Christ,
Rebecca

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin