Just when you think "she has to be sick of cooking!" I'm back with yet another of my all time favorite recipes. I over bought bananas this week and now I have two bunches that "Need" to be used up. So, I am making my favorite banana cake and probably a few loaves of banana bread too.
This cake is AMAZING!!!! Everyone LOVES it. The kids even prefer it over my decadent chocolate cake, which has to tell you it's pretty darn yummy if kids are choosing banana cake over chocolate cake. I will warn you the recipe is a little odd, a lower baking temp than average and the "freezer thing" is a bit strange too, but I it's sooooo worth it! I am sure this recipe will be one you treasure and add to your favorites.
Best Ever Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.