Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Vintage Sewing Books




If you have been visiting my blog for a while you all know how much I treasure my grandma. Not only is she the sweetest person on the planet but also a treasure trove of sewing wisdom. She has so many great stories from when she was a girl and budding seamstress. Her days in 4H club meticulously designing dresses to enter in the State Fair. She still has a few of those dresses and scraps of the fabrics she used to make them. Along with newspaper clippings and her blue ribbons. Mom recently put together a beautiful scrapbook for grandma with all of these amazing memories. I was just swooning when I paged through it.

My Grandma's attic is a true wonderland for any seamstress who appreciates vintage treasures. Everything from fabric to laces, trims, buttons, zippers, threads, patterns and just about anything else that a seamstress would love to have in her collection. Sadly most of her machines have long gone but she still has a vintage treadle machine in the garage that I know will be passed on to me. I am the only one in our family who can truly appreciate it. Occasionally I will receive a surprise package in the mail from Grandma with some new treasures that she thinks I might have fun playing with. Not too long ago she sent me this beautiful boxed set. A beautifully illustrated book with tons of hand embroidery techniques and designs. Along with the book there was a box filled with patterns. So, much fun!!! Thanks Grandma she knows exactly what I love.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin