Thursday, June 18, 2009

Confessions Of A Fabric-A-Holic



...I have to admit I have been VERY good of late in regards to not going fabric shopping. I have been sewing from my stash and trust me, I haven't even made a dent in it. However, I was really, really feeling the need to have a little fix. So, yesterday I slipped out for a while and headed for the "bar"as Ole calls it. That's right, I admit it....I fell off the wagon....I had to go to JoAnn's! The entire way there I was filled with anticipation and felt tingly all over. As I pulled into the parking lot it got worse and the moment I stepped into the store I felt an adrenaline rush...Ahhhhhhhhhhh......Fabric! I grabbed my buggy and headed towards the quilters cottons. That rainbow wall of color and pattern always thrills me. I always start at the pinks looking over every bolt and checking to see what's new and what I already have. Then on through the reds and oranges, into the yellows....greens and blues....I always linger in the blues...and then onto the purples and finally the browns, blacks and whites. Along the way pulling out my favorites and then putting them into my buggy. No rhyme or reason just the things that catch my eye. Then I go through again and again with a fine tooth comb making sure I have seen every one. Once my basket is full I begin to sort through and see what I "really" need and want and what goes back...if anything. I look to see what goes with what and then go deep into my memory banks remembering what I have in my stash that might go with what I have picked out. From there I rolled over to the thread and carefully matched up colors to go with everything...even though I may already have that color at home I still grab one because there is nothing worse than wanting to start on a project and not having the correct color thread. Then onto the buttons...even though I have a dozen or so mason jars at home filled with them...you can just never have enough buttons...right!?? I recently stocked up on needles for my machine, so I don't need those, I don't need elastic, lace, ribbon, ric-rac or bias tape...okay I think I'm good. Time to roll over to the cutting table. I always feel badly for who ever is lucky enough to get me because they are going to be busy for a while. Thankfully today I am in no hurry and I am happy to let a few ladies with just one or two things go ahead of me. After 30+ minutes at the cutting table I roll up to the cashier with my stacks of fabric, cards of buttons and spools of thread. carefully placing it all onto the little counter and handing her my slip....of course then after several minutes I get the news...it's always shocking but none the less I hand over my card and have a slight cringe as I flush away more money on my habit. But in my own defense, I have to say, it could be much worse. I could smoke, drink, do drugs or gamble...if occasionally I have to go buy more fabric to feed my obsession and inspire me creatively, I'm not that bad. I came home with 40+ yds of fabric so that should keep me out of trouble for a while...but trust me...I will be back!

10 comments:

MaryAnne said...

lol I went to JoAnn's yesterday too after successfully keeping myself away for a while!

Stephanie said...

Wow I bet that was fun. My whole stash may not be 40 yards anymore. That's hard though bc it means I almost always have to go buy something to start a project.

Tabitha O. said...

Have not been fabric shopping in some time, stop tempting me lol...

April said...

You're so funny.... the real question is, though, were you Blessed enough to be able to use a JoAnn's coupon?!?

Goosegirl said...

Oh sister, I feel the thrill right along with you!

Now my dear, you have truly earned it but I do believe you owe us a photo!! heehee!!!!

Sivje

Karen said...

I just love you! We seriously have our "addition" in common. Please you must give me more . . .pictures or something . . .I need to live vicariously through you!! I'm on a fabric diet right now.

Karen said...

oops meant to say addiction

michal said...

I wish I jad Joann somewhere cose to me!
anyhow - do you make all these amazing dresses and skirts from 100% cotton? I find that it wrinckes so badly! is there a way around it?

thanks!
Michal

Stacy said...

I know that feeling, too. I have a fabric store very close to where I work and the ladies that work the cutting table know my face and always say hi to me when I stop in. Coming home with a treasure trove of fabric is a great feeling! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I'd love to see a picture of that!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin