Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Anniversary!


12 years ago today my dear sweet Ole and I were married. This is actually a great story so I thought it would be fun to share with all of you.

Ole and I had been living together in Hinsdale, IL for several months. Ole was finishing up his Post-Doc after completing his Ph.D and I was happily working as a Nanny. He had just returned home from another business trip to Germany and we were celebrating his return. I looked up at him and said "We should get married", it was the first time I had actually thrown it out there and much to my surprise he agreed with me right then and there. From that point on we were officially engaged. With both of our families and friends far away putting together a wedding became a nightmare and I was terribly stressed. So, we decided to take a break from planning. A few days before Christmas I told Ole that "I really needed the mountains" he said "Please say the Rockies, and not the Alps" I was fine with the Rockies so we decided to spontaneously hop in the car and head West. We both had several weeks of vacation so it was a perfect plan. Then I thought to myself...Hmmmm...and then said to Ole. "Hey, wanna Elope?" He loved the idea and we quickly made a bunch of calls to make sure it was possible and we were on our way. Over hill and dale we drove in our little red Jetta to Beautiful Aspen, Co.

At 12:00pm on December 24th we were married in the Pitkin County Court House by a charming Colorado Cowboy/Justice of the Peace. I wore a cream dress and Ole a suit. I carried a bouquet of fresh greens and berries and it was perfect! We celebrated with a glass of Champagne and then the JOP had to rush home for his Christmas dinner. Ole and I ran back to the Inn and changed into warmer clothes and then went on a horse driven sleigh ride through the countryside covered with a heavy wool blanket and drinking hot cocoa from a thermos. I cannot even tell you how incredibly romantic it was! Later we had a fabulous dinner together at the most adorable place. It was a day I will never forget and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing!

So, Happy Anniversary Sweetheart! I love you so much!!!

Dawn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary and Merry Christmas, Dawn! That was a lovely story, thank you for sharing.
Hope you are having a wonderful day with your family.

Karen said...

Happy Anniversary and hope your Christmas is wonderful!! (hug)

Elizabeth said...

An anniversary is always something to celebrate! Happy number 12 to you - and here's to many, many more!

And your wedding day sounds lovely. Just lovely.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin